We are committed, experienced immigration experts who prioritize your future. Call us on:
01707 707626 or
01279 970200 (Bishop’s Stortford) For immediate support and  guidance tailored to your situation. We are here to assist you in person, via phone, or online.
Get in Touch

Family Visa Applications

Eligibility for a Family Visa in the UK:

If you’re a non-UK national seeking to live and work in the UK for an extended period, you’ll need to initiate a UK Visa application.

Different visa types are available based on your specific circumstances. A Family Visa is essential if you intend to join family members in the UK for a duration exceeding six months.

If you currently reside outside the UK, you can apply for a Family Visa to reunite with your spouse, fiancé, partner, child, parent, or a relative who will provide you with long-term care.

Other pathways to meet the eligibility criteria for a Family Visa include:

  • Applying after the termination of your relationship due to divorce or the recent death of your partner.
  • Applying as the parent of a British or settled child, or a child who has resided in the UK for seven years or longer.
  • Utilizing the Ukrainian family member scheme.
  • Applying to settle in the UK or extend your existing family visa.

You can also determine if your family member based in the UK is eligible to sponsor your visa application.

Spouse Visa

Within the framework of the UK Family Visa, partners and spouses have the opportunity to reside in the UK for an initial period of 2.5 years. Following this duration, you can apply for an additional extension, granting you a total of 5 years to stay in the UK.

It’s worth noting that, after living in the UK for over five years, you become eligible to apply for indefinite leave to remain.

UK Ancestry Visa

The UK Ancestry Family Visa is a distinctive visa category.

If your grandparents hail from the UK, and you are a citizen of a Commonwealth country, you may qualify for a UK Ancestry Visa valid for five years.

This visa permits you to work, reside, and pursue studies in the UK. Once the initial five-year period concludes, you become eligible to apply for settled status.

Types of UK Family Visas:

If you’re a non-UK national planning to reside in the UK for a period exceeding six months, you will need to submit a Family Visa application if you meet any of the following criteria:

  1. Your family member or spouse is a British citizen.
  2. Your family member or spouse possesses Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) or settled status.
  3. You have an eligible relationship with an individual in the UK who has refugee status or humanitarian protection.

For those currently residing in the UK on a different visa, there might be an option to switch to a family visa to remain with their child, fiancé, or partner. The availability and specifics of the UK Family Visa you can apply for depend on your relationship with the UK settled person.

Below, you’ll find details regarding the various UK Family Visa types accessible to non-UK nationals.

Child Dependent Visa

Children who are foreign nationals have the option to apply for a UK Family Visa either as part of their parent’s application or through a separate application.

To meet the criteria for a Family Visa, they must be below 18 years of age at the time of application. Additionally, the child should still be residing as a dependent and not have established an independent family unit.

In the case of bringing children to the UK for permanent residency, the parent or caregiver must also meet the financial eligibility requirements.

Similar to the process for spouse visa applications, after the Family Visa’s expiration, the child becomes eligible to apply for British naturalization following 5 years of continuous residence in the UK.

Adult Dependent Visa

If you are 18 years or older and seek to reside and work in the UK through a Family Visa, you could qualify for an Adult Dependent Visa. This visa category is designed for individuals wishing to enter the UK as a parent, grandparent, or adult child of a British Citizen.

An Adult Dependent Visa can be sought under exceptional circumstances, allowing you to live in the UK when you require long-term care that your relative in the UK can provide.